Art and Politics: British Patronage in Delhi (1803–1857) release_j6lmxwya5ffqpoh7ivl6sd3lp4

by Savita Kumari

Published by Art of the Orient.

Vol 5 (2016): Art of the Orient (2019)

Abstract

The British established their foothold in India after Sir Thomas Roe, the English diplomat, obtained permission to trade for the English East India Company from the Mughal emperor Jehangir (1605–1627). By end of the seventeenth century, the company had expanded its trading operations in the major coastal cities of India. The gradual weakening of the Mughal Empire in the eighteenth century gave the East India Company a further opportunity to expand its power and maintain its own private army. In 1765, the Mughal emperor Shah Alam II (1759–1806) was forced to give the Grant of the Dīwānī of Bengal, Bihar and Orissa to the East India Company. However, it was in 1803 that the company became a formidable power when Shah Alam II accepted the Company's authority in exchange for protection and maintenance. The British Residency at Delhi was established.
In text/plain format

Archived Files and Locations

application/pdf  6.9 MB
file_rsaf6e3lxbet5oenpm2eoddivu
web.archive.org (webarchive)
crossasia-journals.ub.uni-heidelberg.de (publisher)
Read Archived PDF
Archived
Type  article-journal
Stage   published
Date   2019-03-22
Language   en ?
Work Entity
access all versions, variants, and formats of this works (eg, pre-prints)
Catalog Record
Revision: 7285f1f9-a4f3-4a20-aed1-0cea285646a9
API URL: JSON